At this point, I’m sure everyone knows how much I enjoy getting my bimonthly issue of Everyday Food.
However, these past few months have not given me as much time to test out their recipes,…with moving, summer visitors, traveling, a pregnancy, etc. But, I am happy to say that my life has slowed down a bit and I am back to normalcy,… with lots of cooking included. Needless to say, my husband is a very happy man.
So, what I have to say is this. Either Everyday Food came up big this month or I just had more time to test out their recipes than usual and was delightfully surprised that practically* every recipe I tried was delicious. *I must admit that I didn’t like the white-bean and tomato salad recipe, but my husband and our friends did, so maybe it was just my pregnancy taste buds.
So, today my friends, I’d like to tell you about the Broccoli Chowder with Corn and Bacon. YUM! It was wonderful and SO easy!
I love making soups, just because they’re so simple to make and, at the same time, so comforting to eat. The combination in this chowder was delicious. Potatoes cooked just to the tender bite, little bits of broccoli and corn kernels…
…bacon and cheddar cheese on top. As J says, anything that involves milk, cheese, and bacon is going to taste good…how can you go wrong?!
I did add a few little tweaks to the recipe to make it better for us,… a dollop (or two) of sour cream mixed in to make it more creamy (and fatty,… i know), a TON of pepper (I like pepper, what can I say), garlic salt, and shredded cheddar cheese to go on top. I always just add what tastes I know I’ll like.
Here’s the recipe below, but you can also check it out at Martha Stewart’s site.
Broccoli Chowder with Corn and Bacon (taken from Everyday Food, September, Issue 55)
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (add more if it seems too thick, I had to)
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1 head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into bite-size florets, stalks peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup whole milk
- Coarse salt and ground pepper (I added a TON of pepper!)
- (my own preference,….garlic salt!)
- (and a few tablespoons of sour cream, if you like creamy chowder)
- (cheddar cheese to go on top!!)
- In a large pot, cook bacon over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Increase heat to medium. Cook onion, stirring, until it begins to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook until potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli, corn, thyme, and milk. Cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with bacon.
So cozy up in your favorite pajamas and blanket, sit by the fire, and enjoy a bowl of this chowder. YUM!
I’ll be posting some of the other Everyday Food recipes I enjoyed in the next week…complete with some yummy pictures…so be looking out for them!!
Tags: Bacon, Broccoli, Broccoli Chowder with Corn and Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Chowder, corn, Everday Food, Issue 55, Martha Stewart, recipe, September 2008, Soup, Sour Cream, White Bean and Tomato Salad